Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Lecture "Paideia Text and Issues"

This lecture was given by Claude Mertzenich, and it was about going green with chemistry. When this lecture started I really wasn't sure what to think. This lecture talked a lot about ways to keep our globe clean by doing things to reduce waste and pollutants into the environment. There was a video that talked about how to reduce waste, and it talked about how many baby diapers are used and thrown into landfills every year. I found this very interesting, because I didn't really even think that those are not biodegradable so it takes a very long time to get rid of them. The little video he used talked about ways they have come up with to prevent that much waste being put into landfills.
This lecture related to teaching by showing ways to improve on what you already know. I realized that all of these people know that there are things going wrong in our environment, and they have chosen to take a step back and change it. When I teach I want kids to learn everything that there is to know about a subject, even if that means changing something when a new development comes out. I didn't really like this lecture, because of the way this person taught us. He talked too fast for me to even try to understand, and he had a really boring power point. I felt like he wanted to get so many facts out there that he just forgot all about trying to keep everyone engaged. I know that that is something teachers need to do on an everyday basis, keep the students active and engaged in what you are teaching them.

1 comment:

Associate Professor of Education, Luther College said...

Sara,

Please link your blog to other blogs in your study group and comment of their blogs. Thanks for keeping up with your blog entries.

Jim